Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hobby Farming

I learned that the term "Hobby Farming" does not imply farming that is a hobby. It is farming in order to provide food, not profit. For some, this means having a real job, and the farm tags along. There is a new book on the subject, The Joy of Hobby Farming by Michael and Audrey Levatino. It is a wonderful, motivating read by two people who bought a farm in Virginia and are living the life Cathy and I dream of (or at least we think we dream of). The book discusses fences, tractors, chickens, composting, different vegetables and fruits, even growing mushrooms. I've only skimmed the book, but there is lots of great advice and practical tips. I will post more on this topic as I learn more and make my way through the book in detail. Cathy, on the other hand, is reading Raising Chickens for Dummies. Just sayin'.

Another book I thought I would find interesting is A Householder's Guide to the Universe. It is largely about food preservation and gardening, and it is organized by month. The author is Harriet Fasenfest. She is cranky and eccentric, and could qualify for a reality TV show on hoarders. She puts up enough food to feed an army. She probably has boxes of dried fruit and beans piled to the ceiling of her living room, with chickens living in her bathtub. This business seems to attract some unusual personalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment